[ale] RH Upgrade

aaron aaron at pd.org
Wed May 7 09:54:35 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 11:58, John Wells wrote:
> aaron said:
> > I haven't explored RH9 personally, but the bits I've read suggest that
> > it  continues down the same [sorry] GUI path as 8.0. I think all the
> > shortcomings  stem from the RH effort to crunch Gnome and KDE into a
> > clone minded, locked  down "Trade Mark" look and feel conglomeration.
>
> Good for furthering widespread acceptance of Linux in the desktop
> market...bad for those 133t linux hax0rs that require everything to be
> designed *there* way.

Despite the countless past failures of challenging the winblows monopoly
through imitation, and ignoring the prooven "Differentiate or Die" rules for
survival in a saturated market, my complaint does NOT lie in a Linux OS
distribution company or an OSS interface group cloning the Lowest Common
Denominator UI to leverage its familiarity. The complaint is when the
imitation is employed through a monopolist methodology that EXCLUDES all the
more rational options. (Knowing that "One Size" never fits all, I'm not
arguing that any single one of those more rational options should be the
exclusive choice either.)

The problem is that RedHat is adopting the worst case user environment in a
way that cripples access to, and evolution of, superior alternatives. I think
this approach to branding their interface is, at the heart of it, contrary to
open source principles because it removes choices and flexibility from the
community. As Marvin Dickens noted elsewhere in this thread, their approach
is already generating core incompatibilities which will quickly end up
handicapping or deterring the cooperative advantages of open source
development.

> I personally like Bluecurve and its attempt to consolidate the desktop,
> but that's my opinion.  Still, if people really wish to see Linux compete
> with M$ on the desktop, efforts like Bluecurve are necessary and a little
> bit past due.

I personally dislike Metacity and the Bluecurve environments, but am glad to
have them out there among the open source choices, at least so long as they
aren't being foisted on people as the only choice.

Obviously, I don't think that they represent an effective way to compete with
the criminal monopoly on the desktop. If Red Hat continues down an
exclusionary road with their consolidation attempts it will only serve to
alienate the most essential and supportive elements of their user and
developer base while they walk into anonymity as a faceless clone among the
common crowds. As the Red Hat company is among the most visible and
acknowledged flagships of Linux and Open Source that we have, their moves
toward proprietary restrictions and limitations could seriously hurt the
community.

peace
aaron