[ale] Q: how to mount CF card in SanDisk USB reader

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed May 7 09:13:45 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 01:18 pm, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> Still flailing with this, I'm afraid.
>
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 April 2003 02:31 pm, John Mills wrote:
> > > I have a generic RH-7.3 box with 2 USB ports. A SanDisk CF reader is
> > > plugged into one. A formatted, partly filled CF from my camera is
> > > plugged into the reader. I am trying to mount the CF and find its
> > > contents, but don't succeed.
> >
> > What I did to figure things out is "tail -f /var/log/messages" (as
> > root), then plug the sandisk drive into my usb port.  Then plug a CF
> > card into the slot.  You get a bunch of semi-cryptic messages that
> > should give you some clues as to where the devices got created.  It
> > should show up as a scsi disk.
>
> When I do this, I see the SanDisk 'CFII' appear, but no more activity
> when I plug the CF itself. As a matter of superstition, I added
>  'insmod usb-storage' to rc.local, but this doesn't seem to help.
> Looking at '/proc/scsi/*' I see files and directories corresponding to
> the ide-scsi driver for my CD-RW and to the Symbios adapter for my
> scanners, but nothing for the USB.
>
> Do I need to provide a driver? Perhaps 'usb-scsi' (which does not seem
> to exist in my build)?

I finally remembered to see how I do this at home.  I should mention that I
use Mandrake and you use RedHat, but the module names should be the
same--they aren't *that* different.

Mounting my compact flash card in my sandisk is definitely a scsi
thing.  The cflash card shows up as /dev/sdb with one partition,
/dev/sdb1.  Of course, those are the simple names.  Here's the real
names:

  lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           33 May  6 23:08 sdb ->
scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
  lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           34 May  6 23:08 sdb1 ->
scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

What gave it away to me was finding these lines in /var/log/messages:

May  6 20:18:56 localhost kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
May  6 20:18:56 localhost kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
May  6 20:18:56 localhost kernel: scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices

Then I just started mounting scsi drives.  Since I already have sda as a
real scsi disc, sdb was the next one I tried.

Here are the modules that I think are relevant.  Note that I usually
use supermount to mount my removable media like CDs and the compact
flash card, but it works fine without supermount, too.

vfat                    9588   2 (autoclean)
fat                    31864   0 (autoclean) [vfat]
supermount             14340   4 (autoclean)
usb-storage            51952   1
usb-uhci               21676   0 (unused)
usbcore                58304   1 [acm usbdnet usb-storage usb-uhci]
rtc                     6560   0 (autoclean)
sd_mod                 11612   4
scsi_mod               91140   5 [sr_mod usb-storage ide-scsi sd_mod
aic7xxx]

For mounting without supermount I use this line in my /etc/fstab:
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/removable2 auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0

For mounting with supermount:
none /mnt/cflash supermount
dev=/dev/sdb1,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Hope that helps,

Michael