[ale] OT: APC wattage

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue May 6 12:03:43 EDT 2003

I'm in the market as well, but I'm a bit shaky on what APC wattage
actually indicates.  For example, I have four pcs running 24/7, and the
power supplies break down to:

1 350W
1 300W
2 250W

Totaling 1150W if all were to *max* their wattage at a given time.  Now, a
cursory look at APCs show they are across the board regarding
wattage...but I'm not sure there's a direct correlation to the apc's
wattage and the pc powersupplies it can support (if there were, you'd be
spending megabucks in a multi-pc household).

So, how do I get a fairly good idea of how much APC muscle I need?  I
don't think I need more than 20 minutes or so of battery power (and even
that seems a bit much).  More interested in dodging hiccups and the like,
and the occasional blown fuse.

Thanks for the insight.

John