[ale] [OT]-ish: tool to convert ~50G Oracle DB to mySQL

tslane at attbi.com tslane at attbi.com
Tue May 6 11:36:30 EDT 2003

I need to build a "proof of concept"/benchmarking mySQL database equivilant to
our production Oracle ones to evaluate the feasibility of converting.  I know a
couple of brute force ways I could do it:  write a SQL*Plus script to generate
mySQL DDL from Oracle data dictionary and copy rows with Perl/DBI or SQL*Plus
spool to flat file(s) & import but I'm hoping somebody has written a tool to do
this as a "bigbang".  ideally it would read a full export (or pipe w/split & cat
in this case), run for a while (possibly couple of days:) and spit out a
finished mySQL DB.  FWIW, Oracle is 8.1.7.4 and I'm hoping to use mySQL 4 but am
willing to look at alternatves.

does anyone know of any existing tools/scripts to do this or do I need to dust
off my 3lb hammer?  ;)