[ale] DSL

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon May 5 18:39:07 EDT 2003

Tom -

On Mon, 5 May 2003, tom hawks wrote:

> I guess I am stuck with using a cablemodem or I could
> switch back to BellSouth. They have a good monopoly
> over the DSL industry in Atlanta, don't they.

They have a monopoly over only part of the system: the wires to your
house. They use that position to "passively resist" other ISPs, but
at least some of those other ISPs are still hanging on.  My BellSouth
phone service comes out of East Lake CO, access is by COVAD (8-P), and my
DSL provider is Speakeasy.

I am very happy with Speakeasy, particularly their user support. Before
that I was with DirecTV DSL (no love lost there!), and my best experience
was with XO/Concentric, my account being a NorthPoint casualty.

Some ISPs also have a referral 'kickback' for current subscribers, so once
you have decided who you want to do business with, you might check if you
have a friend who could benefit from your sign-up.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu