[ale] OT: wireless networks hazardous to health?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon May 5 14:48:21 EDT 2003

On Saturday 03 May 2003 07:14 pm, John Wells wrote:
> I recall reading in an Ale thread a LONG time ago that there were
> potential health hazards regarding wireless networks.  I assume this is
> similar to cell phone radiation, etc., but I can't find the post in the
> archives and I'm not having any luck googling useful information.
>
> I'm considering purchasing a WAP and a wireless nic soon, but would like
> to find more info on whether there really is a risk to my family's
> health or not.  I have a baby daughter arriving in a number of weeks,
> and don't want to take *any* chances.
>
> Can anyone speak on this issue?

I know that there are some claims that cell phones can be dangerous.  It
looks like one of those things that, if true, is both subtle and on the
edge of detectability.  I imagine the skeptics society doesn't believe the
claims at all.

AFAICT, a cell phone has two disadvangates in this area.  First, then need
to be relatively high powered to reach the nearest cell tower.  Compare
the distance a cel call travels from tower to handset and compare it to
your cordless phone or you wireless card.  Second, cell phones are
typically held up to your head.  given the inverse square law of
radiation, I figure that mean that, given equivalent radiant power, a cell
phone (4 inches from brain) is roughly 36 times as likely to damage me as
a handheld with a WiFi card (2 feet), and 144 times as likely as a desktop
computer while I'm working at it (4 feet) and way, way, way more likely
than the desktop computer when I'm not working at it.

Congratulations on the new baby.  Girls (and boys, of course) are great
fun.  I've got two, myself.  I'm one of the more crunchy granola/Luddite
kind of Linux fanatics, but I've never worried about my 802.11b setup.  As
Jim said, the crap on TV is much more damaging.  It's probably even more
likely to cause cancer, given what kind of advertisements are show.  My
advice is to unplug the TV and don't worry about the network (except for
network TV  :-).

Michael