[ale] reducing NTFS partition

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Mon May 5 01:10:00 EDT 2003

Dow Hurst wrote:
> I have successfully resized a NTFS partition using the new ntfsresize
> tool from the linux-ntfs project at sourceforge.  The XP defrag tool
> however will not move files from the end of the new partition.  I was
> lucky that XP hadn't put files at the end of the original partition!  Is
> there a way or tool to shift all files in a NTFS partition to the front
> end so you pick your partition size?  Thanks,

Hey Dow,

   I've had great luck with BootItNG from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ under win2k.  Never tried on XP, but for win2k partitions, the resizer didn't need the disk defragged before the resize....it moved stuff as needed.

Currently it claims:
# Windows XP Compatible!
# support for large hard drives (2 TB) and partitions (1-2 TB).
# non-destructive resizing and conversion for FAT/FAT32.
# non-destructive resizing for NTFS.
# creation and deletion of partitions/volumes.
# undelete partitions/volumes.
# FAT/FAT32 formatting
# copying and moving of partitions/volumes.
# support for Linux Ext2/Ext3 and ReiserFS file systems.
....more

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith