[ale] reducing NTFS partition

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun May 4 23:24:33 EDT 2003

Dow Hurst wrote:
> Well, no matter how much I run the stupid XP based defrag tool it won't
> completely defrag the system.  The ntfsresize tool can't deal with the
> end of the volume in a fragmented state.  So, will Partition Magic
> defrag correctly and resize to any size that I want the NTFS partition?

I have used partition magic to resize NTFS partitions successfully, but
if I recall, it was after defragging via windows.  That was NT.

> I have a 40Gb drive with a resized NTFS partition of 22Gb, a 32Mb
> partition for Dell's tools, a ~18Gb extended partition with ~17Gb for /
> and 1Gb for /swap.  I really wanted about 6Gb for XP and the rest for
> Linux.

Can you cut your swap down in size to provide another partition which
you could copy your xp to, reduce the size of the xp partition and copy
it back?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...