[ale] reducing NTFS partition

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun May 4 21:35:34 EDT 2003

Welcome to windows partitioning HELL!  There is a (claimed) reason
behind M$ writing some unmovable blocks at the end of the C: drive
partition. It is along the lines of walking a dog and watching it pee on
every phone pole, mailbox and bush along the way.  Unfortunately, the
data in the blocks is important and the fool machines won't boot with
out it.

I have used a version of partition magic to wiggle around some NTFS
partitions but that was on a NT4 system. PM won' defrag the disk any
better as the disk _IS_ defragged. But PM should be able to move the end
data blocks forward and make room for the real stuff.

There is some info on the end blocks and moving them in the docs with
FIPS. FIPS 2.0 can (supposedly) deal with the "unmovable" blocks.

Of course, my personal vote is to fdisk the #$(&^% drive and rid your
self of the plague.