[ale] mandrake upgrade

Herman, Izzie Izzie.Herman at T-Mobile.com
Fri May 2 11:01:10 EDT 2003

I've never used disk drake...but when moving /var...you need to make sure
that all the same directories are there with the proper permissions and
ownerships so that programs can write to where the need to.

Other than that, as long as it's in the fstab, you should be good.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert E. Karaffa, II [mailto:rkaraff at emory.edu]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 10:56 AM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: [ale] mandrake upgrade

hi folks,
    I'm about to embark on an upgrade to our Mandrake 8.0 box that acts as
our ftp/web/appleshareIP/authentication server.  I'll try to be brief:

-when I configured this box, my experience with linux was not as deep as it
is now.
-so I partitioned the 3Gb boot drive into 3:  /, swap, and /home.  egads!
-the problem is, as most of you can surmise, space.  the drive is getting
full.
-we keep a second hard drive as storage for the ftp server.  that works ok,
except it is only 6Gb.

I've been doing some self-educating for this upgrade.  I think I understand
what I want to do, but I thought I'd ask:

-I can move /var (which does not, at the moment, have its own partition) to
another hard drive, correct?

Moving /var is the big issue.  I keep an old linux box for testing in my
shop, so I installed mandrake 8.2 in the same format as the box above.
moved /var to another hard drive with no trouble using diskdrake, in an
X-session (not command-line, in other words).  in fact, diskdrake not only
let me partition the new drive and move /var to it, it also asked me if I
"really want to do this, as /var already exists on another drive?".  I said
"yes", and it proceeded with the move, asked me if I wish to delete the old
/var directory, then it asked if I wanted to write the changes to etc/fstab.
wow!  that was slick.

anyone see any trouble I might run into here?  thanks in advance.

-Bob K.
--
Robert E. Karaffa, II
e-mail: rkaraff at emory.edu