[ale] [way OT]: Workbench power supply?

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Thu May 1 23:33:09 EDT 2003

	You're right that bench power supplies are insanely expensive and, if you do a lot of
electronics work, you'll find that their quality varies considerably across all price bands. Obstensively
they justifiy the cost by providing clean signal power and all kinds of protection but I find you really
have to spend some big money to buy one that lives up to the promises. Actually one of the best
electronics projects a hobbyist can undertake is building his own power supply - that way you really
learn what its all about and end up with exactly what you want for a lot less money.  Most serious
hobbyists end up building two or three specialized ones rather than one do-it-all supply as it still
ends up costing you less and the circuits are much simpler.

	That said - the suggestion that you use a car battery reminded me of a cool device I
bought recently for some portable power. It's an MVP Portable Power Station which has built-in
jumper cables (for jumping a car or boat) and a 12V DC output plug for devices like a flashlight or
radio. It costs about $50 and has been very useful. It has a sealed lead-acid battery so your power
should be pretty clean and an led showing low/medium/good/charging status. Whole thing plugs
into an AC adapter for recharging and is about the size of two laptop computers stacked on top of
each other. I found mine at an Autozone and typically use it to get a spare car with an old battery
started every-so-often or to go camping.

	Good luck -

		Ben Scherrey