[ale] [way OT]: Workbench power supply?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Thu May 1 21:53:15 EDT 2003

<begin schmoozing>
Guys, sorry for the OT post, but I just couldn't expect an answer to a
question like this from anywhere but the best of the best ...
</end schmoozing>

So ... I've been looking at workbench power supplies, and I'm SHOCKED at
the prices of them.  Ultimately, what I'd love to have is a +12v power
supply with about 75A current draw capability (I think?!).   I'm trying
to simulate a vehicle power supply on my workbench (for the dashpc
project).  My carPC power supply draws 60-70 DC Watts.  But, I have _NO
IDEA_ how Watts relate/compare to Amps.  I've looked into that a few
time, but I've never found a good result.

 From what I can gather with my limited knowledge, I think I'd like to
have a 12-14V power supply, that can handle however many AMPS are
equivalent to my 70 watt DC power supply.

So, in summary -
Could I create this environment by "shotgunning" several PC power
supplies together on the +12v lead?  In serial?  In parallel?!?
or
Does anyone have a recommendation of a power supply that I could use to
affordably duplicate a vehicle power subsystem?
or
Can anyone point me toward some understandable information about
wattage/amperage relationship(s)?

Much, much, thanks in advance guys!!!
-CB