[ale] Re: Mem. reqs. for RH9 (and other distros)

John Trostel jtrostel at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 31 16:52:26 EST 2003

hehe... burning disk 3 of 3 now!

Fulton Green wrote:
> Red Hat released Red Hat Linux 9 (RH9) today:
>    http://www.RedHat.com/software/linux/
> though I think it'll be awhile before ISOs are *reasonably* downloadable
> if you're not a paying RHN subscriber.

I tried the BitTorrent method (see /.) and was pleasantly surprised to
get 1 to 2 MB/sec transfer rates. whoo hooo!!!

> But that's not the point of this note.  Instead, it's about the machine
> requirements:
>    http://www.RedHat.com/software/linux/technical/
>
> Does anyone else find it interesting that even the *text* mode now
> requires up to 64 MB of RAM?
>
> If anyone has any insight on this (that means you, Chris Ricker :), I'd
> love to hear it.  I can only guess that the new threading stuff bumped
> up the memory usage.
>
> Or, perhaps, RH8 also required 64 MB minimum, though I remember a time
> when RHL only req'd 32 MB.

I remember my son and I installing an X windows based Linux onto a 386
with 8 MB of RAM when he was 3 or 4 years old... that was painfully
slow, but it worked.  We eventually removed X windows and it worked just
dandy.

--
John M. Trostel
Atlanta, Georgia USA