[ale] firewalls, encryption & NAT to be illegal?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 31 07:47:47 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 06:58:10AM -0500, Dan Newcombe wrote:
[snip]
> Oh well...enough early morning ranting.  To summarize - not aimed at
> natting but has scary implications that it could be used that way due to
> bad wording.

That's the problem.  The wording is, as you say, way too vague.  I'm
sure that most of the Congress critters who approved the DMCA thought
they were just protecting the rights of copyright holders, and didn't
fully realize how the law could be abused.  IIRC, Orrin Hatch was very
angry at some of the ways the DMCA has been used, and felt that he had
been misled about its intentions (not that that's any excuse for Mr.
Hatch, or anyone).

We need to make sure, now, that this bill does not get passed into law.
If it can be abused, it will be.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9