[ale] About Wireless Connectivity

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Sun Mar 30 15:00:53 EST 2003

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 10:19:46PM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> [...]

The two problems with this reasoning are:

1. They can break into your boxes and get your passwords that you use
   for online shopping and banking.  Then you will care a great deal.
   You'll care even more when you ask your bank to return the money
   stolen out of your account and they say "NO" because you were
   neglegent.

2. Crackers will use your bandwidth to attack others' networks.  Besides
   this being a bad net citizen, victims of such attacks are starting to
   sue those whose neglegence allowed their networks to be used.

3. Some ISPs will shut you down or even claim damages (read the fine print
   in your contract).

Regarding the other person's response that WEP's 12 hours-to-crack as
being sufficient, that depends.  Will a cracker park his car in front of
someone's home to crack his network?  No.

Will the teenage kid or out-of-work programmer next door leave his AirSnort
running overnight?
Sure.

Will a company's competitor spend 12 hours to steal his customer list?
Sure.

> -Jim P.

Good luck!

Bob Toxen