[ale] firewalls, encryption & NAT to be illegal?

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 28 14:16:27 EST 2003

If you haven't checked out Slashdot today, there is a link to this article by
Edward Felten, who maintains the site "Freedom to Tinker":

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000336.html

There are laws being considered in South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alaska,
Tennessee, Colorado, Texas and Massachusetts that would extend the DMCA and
make it illegal to "conceal from a communication service provider ... the
existence or place of origin or destination of any communication". This would
include any technology that encrypts or otherwise obscures the "to" and
"from" fields in any Internet communication. Imagine the implications! We
need to start writing our Georgia Legislature NOW to see where this thing is
going.