[ale] Pine, sendmail, fetchmail problems help request continued

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Mar 28 09:28:08 EST 2003

Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 19:48, Joe wrote:
>
>>Jason Day <jasonday at worldnet.att.net> writes:
>>

>>>It really looks like your MDA (not sendmail) has a problem with the
>>>capital "J".
>>
>>I Think you're right. I had this same problem a few months back
>>(IIRC); changing my user name from "Joe" to "joe" fixed things
>>right up.
>

> I was afraid of this.  Is is possible to remane a user rather than
> creating a new home and installing and setting up the programs
> there????  A little short on drive space and looking for the easy way
> out of this.  Any gothcha's I would need to look out for?

I would expect that you should be able to simply change the name in the
/etc/passwd file, as file ownership and what not is actually controlled
by the uid/gid values.

You may have to change the name of some directories and files also.  For
example, if the home dir is /home/Joe, all will still work, fine if you
change Joe to joe in the passwd file, it might just throw you a bit.

Also, /uvar/spool/mail files are named by user, although I'd suspect
that you would still be able to access the data there, as I assume the
mail tools use uid rather than user name.  I've not tested this.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...