[ale] magic dev problem

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Mar 27 09:27:11 EST 2003

Power down and unplug the DVD drive and then boot. The hardware
detection (kudzu) will ask about it. Select remove. After the system
finishes booting, do a shutdown. Reattach the drive and reboot. Accept
the configuration from the kudzu process.

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 09:15, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> 1. I have a box with RedHat 8.0 (and updated everything via up2date).
>
> 2. I opened the computer, took the DVD player off IDE channel 2, and made it
> slave to channel 1. (I also changed out a power supply)
>
> 3. When I try to go into X, the computer crashes at MagicDev.
>
> 4. There is an error that can sometimes be seen saying "invalid MagicDev
> cookie"
>
> 5. I log in as a user, remove .ICEauthority and .Xauthority, then go to
> /etc/fstab and remove the line relating to /dev/cdrom and it successfully
> goes into X
>
> 6. Tried logging in X again the next day and same problem with the same
> solution.
>
> 7. How do I fix this problem permanently?
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part