[ale] magic dev problem

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Mar 27 09:15:22 EST 2003

1. I have a box with RedHat 8.0 (and updated everything via up2date).

2. I opened the computer, took the DVD player off IDE channel 2, and made it
slave to channel 1. (I also changed out a power supply)

3. When I try to go into X, the computer crashes at MagicDev.

4. There is an error that can sometimes be seen saying "invalid MagicDev
cookie"

5. I log in as a user, remove .ICEauthority and .Xauthority, then go to
/etc/fstab and remove the line relating to /dev/cdrom and it successfully
goes into X

6. Tried logging in X again the next day and same problem with the same
solution.

7. How do I fix this problem permanently?

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com