[ale] Disaster Recovery - HELP!

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 25 10:23:13 EST 2003

Jonathan,

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 10:08, Jonathan Glass wrote:
> Anyone ever tried to recover data from a hardware RAID 5 partition after losing
> 2 out of 5 disks?  The directory structure appears, but I get INPUT/OUTPUT
> errors when trying to LS directories.  Any thoughts on how to recover, except
> from tape?

	One thought: find "raidreconf", now part of the raid tools package, I
think.  It can "export" from a RAID5 to a single disk.  The RAID must be
shutdown/offline, and it runs entirely in user space.  You'll still get
errors, but what it can read, it will.

	Again, this is just an idea.  It may work, and it may not.... :-(

	Caveat: I wrote the RAID5 code, so beware! ;-)

Danny