[ale] Developers Wanted for Jornada 820 Linux

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Mon Mar 24 17:02:24 EST 2003

A Jornada is a little Windows CE handheld unit made by HP. The 820 has a
190 MHz StrongARM RISC processor in it. It's actually a pretty nice little
toy.

I was a member of a development effort a few years back called LinuxCE,
with the explicit goal of porting Linux to WinCE-based handheld machines.
I hacked out a working keymap for the Sharp Mobilon HC4600 by modifying
one for the 4500 (which, for some reason, had slight keymap
incompatibilities with the former), and I actually got Linux booting on it
a few times.

The project got going on some platforms, but is absolutely dead now. Last
I knew, linuxce.org was bought out and transformed into a porn site of
some sort. My old LinuxCE site is still up, though, at
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/ccurzio/ even though I don't even remember the
last time it was updated. There's a few pics there of Linux booting on my
Mobilon.

The mailing list for the project completely died several years back, and
I've not heard from anyone else on the project for a long, long time.

It was fun while it lasted. I still have the three WindowsCE units I was
using for development. No Jornada, though. Just a 1st generation
Cassiopeia, the Mobilon, and an Everex Freestyle.

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

24 Mar 2003 16:07:12 -0500