[ale] Multiple ethernet cards on same network

ale at jeffx.com ale at jeffx.com
Thu Mar 20 14:22:38 EST 2003

Greetings,
I have two network interfaces (eth0 and eth1)  both connected to the same
network.  All outbound connections go through eth1 and I would like to get them
to go through eth0 by default.  Leaving eth1 open for backup.

Currently I execute the command "route add -net 172.17.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
dev eth0" and that seems to work fine (I have added it to my local boot script
for the time being).  If I try to add it to static-routes it does not take on
reboot.

I am guessing there is a better way to do this?  I am using Red Hat 8.0.
Any suggestions?

Regards,
Jeff