[ale] PHP vs. J2EE

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Mar 20 13:10:29 EST 2003

Running Tomcat as it's own server is a snap.  Getting communication
between Apache and Tomcat is a bit more involved, but not too difficult,
and well explained at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/index.html.

You can use it either way.  You can run Tomcat as the only web server, or
have  it and Apache running side by side and use URL's to make specific
calls to Tomcat (i.e. http://myserver:8080/myservlet) or use jk or jk2 to
allow the two to communicate behind the scenes.  Each option is fairly
easy.

Configuring tomcat for your custom servlets and jsp is a bit more complex
(lots of creating/editing xml config files) if you've never done it
before, but fortunately the Tomcat documentation is top-notch.

John