[ale] B$A and Ernie Ball electric guitars

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Wed Mar 19 06:59:46 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Bob Toxen wrote:
> 1. How the BSA (who has no legal authority) can talk a company into
>    giving up $11,000 per unlicensed copy of software that retails for
>    maybe $1,000 each?  Why didn't they say "go sue us"?

True...they can't just show up one day and say "little pigs let me in."
But if you refuse, you must be guilty right, what have you got to hide?
This was on /. a bit ago, but I think it went along the lines of they then
go get a warrant issued and come back with Federal Marshalls, because the
now have good eveidence that you are violating several federal laws.
Pretty sad huh?

> 2. Why anyone would let the BSA goons in without first checking their
>    systems?

>From the aforementioned /. article, it read as if they asked to come in,
you said no, then almost immediatly the US Marshalls are there, so it's
not like they give you a grace period.  A terrible abuse of power.

Because of scare tactics like this - do you want stuff confiscated as
evidence and to have to go to court, it is easier/cheaper just to pay
their arbitrary fine and move on.

Some day I wanna start my own business, never allowing any commercial
product in and taunt the BSA.  Of course, you'd still need money because
you'd probably end up in court trying to prove your innocence...sad.

Then again, these are the goons that sent out cease-and-desist letters to
someplace with a mirror of Open Office for violating Microsoft's
copyright.