[ale] OT: more info on where all the jobs are (going...)

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sun Mar 16 10:50:55 EST 2003

On Sunday 16 March 2003 09:13 am, Chris Fowler wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 02:35, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > oh oh. I just realized that my last post was insensitive to the members
> > of this list who have spent years gaining knowledge in IT. It was like I
> > was say, "Forget what you have been doing and get another job."
> >
> > Perhaps the displaced IT professionals can be more entreprenuerial and
> > create software that sells? Is there no other way to make money than to
> > rely on someone else to provide jobs?
>
> Why would anyone buy software when they can get it free?

The point is that many business cannot get software that does what they want
it to do, free or otherwise.  This is especially true it they want to use
Linux, which has a very limited range of available off-the-shelf packages.

People's time costs money. Lost / screwed-up orders cost money. Changing a
tried and true method of doing business can cost money.

A business may 'adapt' to software that's already available, and accept the
above risks, or they can pay someone to create software that does what they
want it to do, in the way that they want it to.

If you know what you're doing, you're not selling software, you're selling
'improved efficiency', "lower costs',  and 'better customer relations'. No
one expects to get those things for free.

Regards,
Irv