[ale] RH - disappointing

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Sat Mar 15 23:33:17 EST 2003

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Chuck Huber wrote:
> Okay, I'm all in favor of RedHat making a buck or two, but why
> do they have to hit me with $60 per system per year to keep it updated?

You can still download the rpm's and keep the system patched yourself.

>From what I understand of the RHN deal is:
 a) for whatever systems you have registered, you get notifications for
that system of what should be updated.

 b) you get priority on updates - ie before they release the next sendmail
or apache update to the world you get first chance to pull it down before
bandwidth goes to hell.

Value-added-service - noone forcing you to pay for it.  Just a matter of
if you think the money is more important to you than this functionality.