[ale] RH - disappointing

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Sat Mar 15 14:06:23 EST 2003

> With that said... I'd like to get some input from y'all on other
> distributions since I haven't fooled around with anything except
> RedHat.  If you have a favourite, I'd like to hear what it is,
> why you prefer it over others, and any shortcomings you've encountered.

Desktops: SuSE and nothing else....
Mail servers:   Slackware
Data Servers:   Slackware or SuSE depending HW horsepower and applications

Slackware is bare metal. You've got to configure *everything*. Runs great on under provisioned hardware and absolutely screams on properly provisioned hardware. This is the perfect distribution imho for vertical server applications like mail, database and such.

SuSE has lots of chrome for desktop users to feel good about. Keeps'em happy. Even so, it's stable and easy to maintain. I've upgraded SuSE installations using CD's, the internet and intranets. Never had a problem. Samba installation and configuration is a snap in SuSE. So is Postgres. I've configured IBM DB2 on serveral SuSE systems without any problems at all: I can't say this for RH, Mandrake or TurboLinux (The latter distro is leaper of all linux distro....).
Hardware configuration is also easy in SuSE. For instance, out of the box, SuSE supports over 900 printers. I don't know of any other distro that can say this.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens