[ale] free bsd vs. linux

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Mar 15 10:39:55 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 09:51, Stephen Turner wrote:

> well the reason i bring it up, ive heard of bsd and in my mind its allways
> been just like linux, just another unix varient, and tho they have been
> bent (like any other os) on security there still wasnt much difference.
> personnaly i have yet to use an os better than linux, to be more specific
> i havent seen anything like gentoo linux, but hey i used to be a debian
> lover too ;) in any case,  i seen some nutz on teck tv saying "free bsd is
> better than linux on a server we can set a apache server up in 3 min flat"
>  er close to those lines,
Yea,  well I can install Linux in 1/4 the time as that same nutt.
Anyone can do something fast if they done it many times before.

> and so i was just curious. my personal opinion?
> linux isnt the best os, sure maybe someday it will be but due to the
> platform its on or something i think the os takes up too much space when
> compiled to take advantage of a processor.. maybe im nutz!

Diskspace usage by a program may not have too much to do with speed.
Look at j2re.  It takes up little disk space and is not the most
efficient VM.

> i dont know but
> im just keeping my eye open for that better os ;) im perfectly comfortable
> with staying with linux tho so its gonna have to be better performing and
> pretty to! LOL sorry for starting trouble if i did,   im just one of those
> perfectionists allways wanting to make something better or tweak it till
> it breaks,  ;) i like breaking linux, i allways learn something new after
> i break something. i think i need to study the manual to gcc and g++
> compilers, perhaps ill find my answers there. im not sure what im looking
> for but theres just some kinda empty hole and ive tried to fill it with
> religion (not a bad hole filler ;) psychics and random stupid stuff, then
> i got linux well that helped but im still itching for something new...
> cant put my finger on it yet. maybe some hacking will help me ;) i love
> getting frustrated tho, for some reason when something frustrates me about
> a computer i will wanna break it but i allways come back!! well  ive dont
> enough venting here, time for bed for me ;) im a night crew dude.  have
> fun in the office for me guys,

I'll hope all of us is at home enjoying a rainy Saturday.

I've got one machine that refuses to run Linux.  I've installed FreeBSD
4.7 and it works great.  I have 2 idetical machines.  One has RH7.3 and
the other has FreeBSD 5.0. I can tell you that the Linux one is much
faster than the 5.0 box.  It maybe the 5.0 but I can definetly tell a
speed differnce between the two.

One Linux box spent many hours compiling KDE 3.1.  I don't think any
computer can speed that process up.  I think it went over night.  I use
knostruct to do the build.  But compiling C++ vs C code puts much work
on the processor.  KDE is totall c++.  Plus I think my /opt/kde target
grew from 0 megs to 549 megs after the build.  I have not began
stripping yet.

On the /usr/ports issue, I do not think it is much better than RPM hell.
I wanted to compile a aim client from /usr/ports.  It went as far as
compiling GNU make just to begin building the client.  I spent at least
an hour compiling dependencies so I could compile the aim client. You
would expect that a small program would equal small dependencies.  That
is just not the case.