[ale] openssl dependency hell

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 14 14:20:49 EST 2003

"I started out doing some simple upgrades..." So begins the story of man RPM
nightmares. Among the many libraries required to do the upgrades is
libssl.so.4 and libcrypto.so.4. Fair enough. Those are in
openssl-0.9.7a-1.i386.rpm and the corresponding devel package. But if I
install that, I'm losing libssl.so.2 and libcrypto.so.2 and dozens of
packages on my system depend on those libraries. In fact, some of those
packages depending on *.so.2 were just downloaded from Rawhide this week. So,
how do I make the upgrade without wrecking and rebuilding half of the stuff
on my box? This is a RedHat 7.3 box with so many upgrades that it is more
like 8.0, but that hasn't been a problem up until now.