[ale] Debian help requested - vfat question

Jerry Z. Yu z.yu at voicecom.com
Tue Mar 11 12:59:08 EST 2003

	on a redhat system, the /etc/filesystems looks like this:
---- cut -------
ext3
ext2
nodev proc
nodev devpts
iso9660
vfat
hfs
------cut-------
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Jason Day wrote:

#On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 06:15:25AM -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
#>  I usually use Midnight Commander, but have also used Konqueror.  Both
#>  reduce my files to 8.3
#>
#>  Haven't tried command line (not currently at my machine) , but I
#>  would wager it to be the same.
#>
#>  Noticed it when copying to a floppy.
#
#How are you mounting the floppy drive?  Many distributions add a line
#to /etc/fstab like this:
#   /dev/fd0    /floppy    auto  user,noauto    0 0
#
#The "auto" keyword for fstype tells mount to probe the superblock of the
#device and make a guess about its filesystem.  This normally works well
#for floppies, but it will almost always pick fat or msdos instead of
#vfat, which of course means that you are limited to 8.3 filenames.
#
#According to mount's man page, you can create a file called
#/etc/filesystems to change the probe order, but I couldn't find any
#documentation on this file (but I didn't look very hard).
#
#What I do is add another mount point for the floppy drive.  My system is
#a dual boot, and I'm already mounting my windoze partition in /win/c.  I
#just add a line to /etc/fstab like this:
#   /dev/fd0    /win/a    vfat  user,noauto    0 0
#
#That way, if I know I want to mount a floppy as vfat, I just "mount
#/win/a".  If I want to mount a linux floppy, I "mount /floppy".
#
#HTH,
#Jason
#--
#Jason Day                                       jasonday at
#http://jasonday.home.att.net                    worldnet dot att dot net
#
#"Of course I'm paranoid, everyone is trying to kill me."
#    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9
#

Jerry Z. Yu				+1-404-487-8544 (O)
systems engineer			z.yu at voicecom.com
is support, voicecom, llc		www.voicecom.com