[ale] Laptop screen going out???

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Mon Mar 10 20:00:46 EST 2003

Thanx for the advice. From the way this thing is acting I'm guessing its a connection problem at this
time. I just opened up the top keyboard panel which covers the LCD panel cable plugin under the
left speaker. It has a bunch of individual thin wires bound together and stressed out for the short
distance and hard turn it has to make. Not a smart design for such a critical component and right
near the spot where it has to bend when the laptop is opened and closed. I pushed the wires down
harder into the plug and it seemed to improve things a bit. I'll wait to see if the screen dies again
then fiddle with the wires to see if it comes back on.

FWIW - my warranty's long expired and I can't afford to spend money on this box (even though its
my primary workstation. I do have an external monitor to hook it to for backup but that's not a
satisfying option for obvious reasons. I'm really surprised that there is no local repair facility for this
kind of thing. No way everyone in Atlanta whose laptop goes out is waiting six weeks for it to come
back again...

	best regards,

		Ben Scherrey