[ale] best terminal-based browsers?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 10 14:43:31 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 02:17:54PM -0500, John Wells wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Wow.  I had no idea.  That is certainly sweet!
>
> However, following your directions I only get disconnected with
> "Connection closed by foreign host" if I telnet localhost 1080 and
> "Document contained no data" if I set proxy to socks4 in mozilla.  Is
> there anything on my home box I need to enable?  I'll have to play around
> with it to see if I can get it working.  If so, I'll be set!

Not that I know of.  Try using the debug switches on the client (ssh -v
-v -v ...) and see if that shows any problems.  If not, start an sshd in
debug mode (sshd -d -d -d -p some_port), connect to it, and see what it
spits out.

The fact that you are able to connect ("Connection closed..." instead of
"Connection refused...") would seem to indicate a configuation issue
with the server.  Are you using OpenSSH?

Also, keep in mind what someone else said, you might want to purge your
cache or cookie information when you're done.  And, depending how
paranoid you are and how sensitive your surfing is, you might want to
firewall off any connections to port 80 from your box, until you
convince yourself that the connections *are* going through the tunnel.

> It never fails to amaze me at how much ssh can do.  Seems I learn
> something new about it every week!

Agreed.  Like I said, I used ssh for years without realizing it could do
this.  I find the same is true about linux in general; I'm always
learning new tricks just by watching other people.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9