[ale] run xterm in root window

Cory T. Echols ctechols at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 9 09:37:31 EST 2003

On 03/09, Stephen Turner wrote:
> i have seen in a couple online apendixes that the root window is not just
> capeable of displaying images but also able to run programs, ie xsnow,
> which i have seen a few specially made to do this but is there not a
> command that will transfer a app that would otherwise be opend in a new
> window to the root window? or does it have to be specially programmed to
> do this? unfortunately google did not turn up any answers that i seen :(

It seems to me that if you ran a terminal emulator that supported
transparency (aterm or eterm) and had it configured where it displayed
no title bar or window borders, and made sure that it was never raised
on focus, (sawfish can do this easily), then the effect would be the
same as having it running in the root window.

I'm afraid I don't have the specific answer to your exact question, but
maybe the above will help you get the effect that you're after.

--
Cory T. Echols          | Our contest is not only whether we ourselves shall
ctechols at mindspring.com | be free, but whether there shall be left to