[ale] Speakeasy DSL (Anyone here have it?)

Ray Knight audilover at atlantabroadband.com
Sat Mar 8 03:36:49 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 21:51, John Mills wrote:
> Mike, ALErs -
>
> On 6 Mar 2003, Mike Panetta wrote:
>
> > Is anyone on this list using Speakeasy DSL?  I am thinking about getting
> > their service, but its a bit more expensive then I was expecting...
> > What would I get for the price?  They mention static IPs, do they really
> > give out multiple IPs?  (a 6net perhaps?)
>
> I started with them in mid-January when my DirecTV line conked out and
> they had quit even answering the phone. (Not quite quit billing yet, but
> VISA took care of that!)
>
> I have been quite happy with their support and the service is fine. I got
> 2 static IPs, several e-mails (only use 2), and their lower-speed
> 'SysAdmin' account for ~$60/mo. (Cheapest I found for static IP.)
>
> I do find their support exceptional. Usually quick to get to (hold-time
> estimate on their web page), 1 shell account, you can run Perl if you want
> (but they warn you're unsupported for that), and I had the impression they
> run quite a lot of Linux.
>
> Today they told me how to configure Pine for authorization to their news
> server - immediate answer to the phone  and about 30 sec. for the service
> person to tell me how to include my SE user name in the server definition.
>
> I'm just praying for their commercial success.

I don't think there's a need to worry.  I've been with them since before
they had a POP here in Atlanta (late 1999).  When I first received IDSL
from them the POP was in Seattle (Speakeasy's home).  They have slowly
opened POPs in most of the major metro areas, but only when their
customer base was large enough to make it cost effective.  I've heard
many say their price is high, but as you say you get what you pay for.
And they need to make a profit to stay in business, so I don't mind
paying a fair price.  Besides, I believe they have the best service and
support in the business.  When I was laid off in early 2001 they carried
me for 2 months with no payment on my account (I notified them of the
situation before my payment was due and asked).  That kind of service is
pretty hard to find.

Ray