[ale] More WEP/VPN questions

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 7 22:04:22 EST 2003

I'm deep in the midst of getting my wireless VPN going. A question
that's occurred to me is:

Should I leave WEP enabled or not?

Pro: with WEP involved, there's one more thing for an attacker to
deal with. Sure, it's ineffective on its own, but it might dissuade
20% of all attackers by its mere presence.

Con: can't think of any really compelling negatives. I suppose it
could be that the combination of IPsec and WEP might actually lead to
*weaker* encryption than IPsec alone; encryption algorithms sometimes
interact in strange ways, as I understand it. But that seems pretty
unlikely.

Am I missing anything?

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka