[ale] OT:Atlanta Police make comp.risks!

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Fri Mar 7 18:29:26 EST 2003

	If the mother was guilty of rape, genocide and had a known propensity for attempting to obtain nuclear, chemical or biological weapons, and had even tested them on her family..  Yah, I say, shoot her.

	We do not use weapons to disarm a country, and stating that shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the question itself. We use policy to disarm nations, we impose sanctions, we ask nicely, we go to the UN, have them ask nicely on our behalf. We trade food and medicine for oil, in an attempt to prevent his citizens from feeling the pain that our sanctions are intended to exert on his government. He continues to violate international laws and treaties on a daily basis, and uses the food and medicine we trade for oil to feed his burgeoning army rather than his citizens.

	Imagine yourself a Kurdish dissident living in the north, a young man of 18 or so, just feeling your oats. Imagine that your distaste for the dictatorship that is imposed on you and your outspoken nature in criticizing that dictatorship earns your mother a session of rape and torture with the 'Elite Republican Guard'. Imagine it was your sister, or your wife. To torture you for your outspoken nature they get the ones close to you, abuse them, kill them, and leave you to deal with the aftermath. This is not a pretty picture, but it is certainly one of truth.

	Ask any Kurdish Iraqi in exile, or any Arab Iraqi in exile. They aren't hard to find, there are over 4 million of them.
They will tell you of the horror that man inflicts on his people, on the people that defy him. One million dead Bosnian Muslims is a crime worthy of world persecution, and rightfully so. But, why is it not a crime to "cleanse" the Kurds?

	The sad truth Drew is, this situation has gone on far too long. It dangerous for his countrymen, it's dangerous for his neighbors, and every day it is left to fester it becomes more dangerous to the western world.

	Your trivialization of the matter by forwarding such a ridiculous false analogy is neither appropriate, nor appreciated. Please think before you cut and paste again.

-Grant