[ale] Quasi-OT: One for the true hackers

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Fri Mar 7 10:11:18 EST 2003

  Ok, this isn't a software cracking but a hardware hacking problem.
I've got an Archos Jucebox MP3 player.  Sucker is worth every penny, USB
interface (no Firewire but I don't have firewire anywhere anyway), it
plugs straight into my home desktop and mounts up as usb storage, has
10Gig capacity, etc.  Makes a great MP3 player or just portable drive.

  I've found one problem though.  The shockmounting sucks hard.  When I
put the unit on the passenger seat of my truck for the drive to work it
has absolutely 0 problems.  When I put it in my jacket pocket and hop on
the motorcycle I get alot of skipping, and drive errors.  When I get up to
good speed I get alot of road bumps and wind buffeting.  The unit has a
good buffer but it takes a pretty solid beating thought.  I've tried
different pockets (inside, outside, etc).  I tried making a "case" of
bubblewrap which helped a little bit but was a pain to get it in and out
of but still skipped a good bit.

  Any good thoughts on something that might help protect the system so I
can listen to music on the drive in instead of the inane chatter of DJ's
with a portable radio (I hate morning talkshows 'Listent to me, I'm the
funniest thing ever!!!!')...

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = robert at ipv6.rdlg.net	http://ipv6.rdlg.net