[ale] OT: 802.11b antenna project

D. Alan Stewart astewart at layton-graphics.com
Thu Mar 6 19:01:46 EST 2003

I'm renovating my house and have rented an apartment across the street
from it to live in for three months. Not wanting to lose my DSL Internet
access, I purchased a Linksys wireless router and an Apple AirCard. I've
got a G4 and an iBook. The signal, with the card installed in the iBook,
is weak on the outside of the building, but from inside the apartment
it's not detectable. I need to rig a cheap directional antenna at either
or both ends to make this work.

I have seen all the stuff on the Internet about making cheap directional
antennas with a tin can and other pieces. But I'm a  software developer,
not a hardware geek! I don't know which end of the soldering iron to
hold. Would someone like to have some fun and also make a few bucks by
putting something together that works for me? This is only for three
months, so cheap is the watchword. The house is in Grant Park, near
downtown Atlanta.