[ale] Default route problem?

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 11:34:30 EST 2003

Calvin Harrigan <charrig at earthlink.net> writes:

> Hi all,
> 	I've recently set up redhat 8.0 on a laptop.  Everything is
> working fine.  All drivers for all devices.  My question is in regards
> to automatically changing the default route for the network.  There is
> a network card setup for dhcp, it works fine.  Problem is that
> sometimes I need to dial up to an isp to access services that are not
> available on the lan.  Dialing up works fine, I get connected but I
> can't get any traffic to flow through it.  If I disconnect the lan
> cable I cannot access the internet at all.  The only way I've found to
> make it work is to stop the network {/etc/init.d/network stop} before
> dialing out using kppp.  I've gone as far as setting up kppp to stop
> and start the network when I'm using it.  That feels more like a
> kludge than a fix, any suggestions?

If your LAN *doesn't* provide a default route to the internet, then
you should disable the default route to your local lan (using "route
del default", or by configuring your dhcp daemon not to provide a
gateway), and provide the "defaultroute" option to pppd (I hava no
idea how kppp works, but it should allow something similar).  That
way, traffic bound for machines on your LAN will go out through the
NIC (via the network-specific route that should be put in the route
table by the DHCP client), and traffic bound for the internet will go
out through the PPP link, if it's up.

HTH,

-- Joe Knapka