[ale] Measuring DSL performance

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Tue Mar 4 19:58:36 EST 2003

What tools have you found ?  and are they what you want ?  You might also
try hitting the logging functions and such.  Also try to search for
"bandwidth monitors Linux" "network monitors Linux"  and several different
search terms.  You also should know *how* they work since many just access
and parse log files that you could then just save and examine yourself.
OpenBSD uses altq, mrtg (?), and some other network monitors that I am sure
you could download and compile.  Syslog is prominent I think.

If you don't find what you want, then give the list another ring and I will
send you all of what I have found in Greg's Big List of Links (which is just
a directory of saved pages over the many years and is not organized, so it
would take a while).  Of course, you could also call up your ISP and see if
what they have is useful.  Many keep such statistics as a matter of doing
business.  I know when I was with Mindspring they had this info on their
little app that connected you to the Internet.

I don't really think that you will see a big difference, unless your ISP
throttles the bandwidth, since Bell South owns the wires.  All that they
will do is just push a few buttons/use a different router/whatever to change
you over.  If it's all the same equipment/technology then it will be the
same.  I have noticed that speedfactory's newsgroups seem to be a bit slower
then telocity's were - or at least it seems that way.  I think that this is
just due to Telocity's bigger size and more than likely bigger/faster/more
hardware for news servers.

Greg