[ale] Measuring DSL performance

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Tue Mar 4 19:08:23 EST 2003

well, just a browser, really.  One of the larger ftp sites is Oracle's (just
fill in a bunch of crap if you have to "join"), I guess you could also
download OpenBSD, SuSE, red-hot, or such.  On every browser I have it tells
me how fast, but the trouble is that many companies have slow servers or
throttle the bandwidth.  dslreports is probably the best, as they just
generate a stream of bits.  Your browser should work ok - if not then try
Netscape, opera, whatever gnome uses, Konquerer, etc ... .. or maybe you
could just use ftp.  Of course if your Windows is the only one that works,
then use it, as it the download speed you are measuring.  I know that almost
every distro has several monitors, so just search for one on the distro -
and remember, Google is your friend.

Greg