[ale] Samba tricks?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Mar 4 11:45:27 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Chris Ricker wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> > I've been asked to help the Windows admin set up samba to push out
> > drivers for different versions of windows.  Currently its set up to only
> > share out for windows98 but supposedly there is a method to share out
> > for multiple OS versions by changing the directory structure.
>
> The sanest way to do it (and the easiest for your Windows admin) is to
> configure Samba to support the Windows Add Printer wizard.

<snip; don't you hate following up yourself? ;-) >

BTW, in case it wasn't clear, what all that stuff I described does is
make it so users on Windows clients can browse printers shared by Samba,
double-click on one, and have Samba automatically push the correct
drivers for that printer and that Windows version to that Windows
client.... This isn't terribly well-documented, but it does work well
once you figure out how to get it going (and it does work with all
print subsystems, not just CUPS).

later,
chris