[ale] RH8.0: first impressions

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Mon Mar 3 22:18:21 EST 2003

> Joe wrote:
>  > (My first Linux install was on a 120MB drive,
> > which seemed bloody enormous at the time... But that was before
there
> > were "distributions".)
>
> I'm curious, since you mention your first effort.  I think my first
> Linux install was around 1995.  It was cdrom based though.  Slackware.
>
> I can still remember at marveling at the login prompt...
>
> How about others??

Slackware. Diskettes circa 1995 on a an Acer P-100, 16MB RAM, 120MB
Conner drive, 4X Sony CD ($220!). It was really ugly. Then got a
Slackware CD from a book. It was uglier. It would boot and promptly
crash, nver got it to work. That Acer also had that buggy CMD<?> IDE
chipset. Then got RH 5.1. Sweet! :) (But I was still addicted to
OS/2. ;)

-fgz