[ale] CRISIS -> boot/root floppy needed..........

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Mar 3 12:50:30 EST 2003

OK. Stick a blank floppy in the drive and

mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0

Then mount the  floppy and mkdir a few directories (sbin, bin, etc are
enough) Then put any small, statically linked binaries you need (think
small here, like busybox) on the floppy. synch and umount the floppy.

Mount your boot floppy and enter:

rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/fd0

and the kernel on the floppy will know to look at the floppy device for
the root filesystem.

Tom's Root/Boot is a fabulous tool. It has good docs on how to build
your own. It now has an iso image for CD booting on boxes without a
floppy drive.

Which I happen to think not having a floppy is a bad idea. I don't care
how much crap I can pack on a CD.

Well, the bootable, compressed, live filesystem on the second Slackware
8.1 CD is pretty sweet.  :)