[ale] Re: server load testing

Robert Gash gashalot at gashalot.com
Sun Mar 23 22:03:01 EST 2003

On 23 Mar 2003 19:56:18 -0500, Mike Lockhart was overheard saying:
|  Ok, i need to find a way to do some serious load testing on a couple
|  servers to see how they do under normal/high/extreme loads.  Any ideas?
|  Someone mentioned to me earlier writing a perl script that spews out
|  tons of child processes.

Use The Grinder.  You'll need to know Python (Jython) and some Java,
but the learning curve is shallow and you can pound anything that you
can access from Java (webservers, databases, mail systems, etc.).
I've deployed it on a cluster (3-5 Linux systems + controlling
workstation) with great success.

http://grinder.sf.net/

I have also written a lengither review of The Grinder, which is
available at http://www.gashalot.com/blog/archives/000002.html .

-R

Robert Gash, gashalot at gashalot.com
(Web) http://gashalot.com/