[ale] using mplayer to convert

james at sumners.ath.cx james at sumners.ath.cx
Mon Jun 30 23:35:01 EDT 2003

While doing some research for my own encoding project I came across
this:

7.2 Encoding to MPEG format

MEncoder can create MPEG (MPEG-PS) format output files. It's probably
useful only with libavcodec's mpeg1video codec, because players - except
MPlayer - expect MPEG1 video, and MPEG1 layer 2 (MP2) audio streams in
MPEG files.

This feature is not very useful right now, aside that it probably has
many bugs, but the more importantly because MEncoder currently cannot
encode MPEG1 layer 2 (MP2) audio, which all other players expect in MPEG
files.

To change MEncoder's output file format, use the -of mpeg option.

Example:
  mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -oac copy
  <other options> media.avi -o output.mpg

Read http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/encoding.html for more info.