[ale] Bellsouth SMTP Problems?

Ryan Neily ryan at neily.net
Mon Jun 30 10:11:18 EDT 2003

Instead of trying to do a redirection, I changed the port in which
sendmail uses to send mail to the Bellsouth SMTP server using the
following in my sendmail.mc:

define(`SMTP_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 10027')

Seems this didnt work either.  Seems that your workaround has something
more to do than the source port that the mail is coming from.  Maybe it's
the fact that the mail appears to be coming from 127.0.0.1?

When I have a little more time, i'll setup a redirect and see what
happens then...

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, James CE Johnson wrote:

> > Anyone figured out a way to get around this?  Seems Bellsouth has turned
> > off relaying for all IP's, and adding their SMTP server to the SMARTHOST
> > directive in sendmail.mc doesnt work either.
>
> I found a workaround with postfix, dunno if it'll work for you with
> sendmail. The fact that the workaround works is just stupid...
>
> I setup redir thusly:
>         redir --laddr=127.0.0.1 --lport=10027 \
>               --cport=25 --caddr=mail.bellsouth.net \
>               --timeout 15 \
>               --syslog --name='mail.bellsouth.net ' \
>               &
> Then I tell postfix to use 'localhost:10027' as the relayhost.
>
> For some reason, mail.bellsouth.net will happily relay for me when I do
> this. My only guess is that, maybe, postfix's origin socket is on port 25
> (or maybe some port < 1024) and the BS mailserver is triggering its
> "no-relay" policy based on that.
>

> > I have read elsewhere that you can now get a static IP from them for a
> > whopping $14.95 additional for residential users.
> >
> > I wonder if these "static" IP's are in the "dial-up-IP" lists that
> > Mailabuse.org and others use.  Might be justification for me to order a
> > static IP today!
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Neily
> > ryan at neily.net
> >
> > Random Quote:
> > "Horsepower sells cars, raw torque wins races...  - Carrol Shelby"

Ryan Neily
ryan at neily.net

Random Quote:
1 + 1 = 3, for large values of 1.