[ale] Bellsouth SMTP Problems?

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Mon Jun 30 09:01:23 EDT 2003

> Ryan Neily wrote:
>> Anyone figured out a way to get around this?  Seems Bellsouth has
>> turned off relaying for all IP's, and adding their SMTP server to the
>> SMARTHOST directive in sendmail.mc doesnt work either.
>>
>> I have read elsewhere that you can now get a static IP from them for a
>> whopping $14.95 additional for residential users.
>>
>> I wonder if these "static" IP's are in the "dial-up-IP" lists that
>> Mailabuse.org and others use.  Might be justification for me to order
>> a static IP today!
>
> Might be justification to change providers, if you have other options.

Well that's a lovely idea and I'd damn sure do it if I could. While
they're required to share their central offices with competitors, they're
*not* required to share their remote offices. I'm too far from the CO to
get high-speed DSL but HellSouth has some gizmo in their RO that *will*
let me get high-speed. Unfortunately because the competitors can't get
into the RO I can only get high-speed service from BS.