[ale] Fun with BellSouth, AOL and SMTP

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Sun Jun 29 13:33:23 EDT 2003

David Corbin wrote:

>Good try, but incorrect.  James has had that setup for many months.

Yes. Forgive me for my late-night and incomplete post :-)

Sometime yesterday I started seeing things like this in my postfix logs:

Jun 28 23:14:08 geek postfix/smtp[19031]: 57EE023302:
to=<MySelf at my.work.address>,
relay=mx01.mail.bellsouth.net[205.152.59.33], delay=0, status=bounced
(host mx01.mail.bellsouth.net[205.152.59.33] said: 550 .net 022: Your
current IP address is not allowed to relay to equifax.com Solution:
Connect using BellSouth Internet Service.)

This is with 'relayhost=mail.bellsouth.net' in /etc/postfix/main.cf.

Since that meant *no* email is going out, I removed the relayhost entry
and now I can send mail to, apparently, anywhere other than AOL and
hotmail. (Not that that's really a *bad* thing but I do have a number of
locally hosted mailing lists with AOL and hotmail members.)

I swapped a few emails with BS support (and I must say I'm very
impressed that (a) they were working late on a Saturday night and that
(b) they seemed to be much more clueful than most first-line tech
support I've swapped emails with) and they confirmed that
mail.bellsouth.net is no longer relaying mail unless the From or
Reply-To header ends with @bellsouth.net.

David is still relaying happily and we compared IPs. We're definately in
different subnets and I recall that my connection bounced sometime
Friday. So, my theory is that they probably changed their policy
recently but haven't removed the "old addresses" from the list of
ok-to-relay and that my Friday bounce put me into a new address block
that isn't in that old list.

I'm currently seeking a non-BS host that will relay email to AOL and
hotmail for the handful of domains for which I process email. With luck
I'll have something going in a day or two...

>Bellsouth
>support is now telling him that they won't relay email that isn't from
>bellsouth.net or has a reply-to of bellsouth.net.  This would really suck.

I'll be happy to post the BS responses if anyone is interested.

>However, I have the same set up, and (so far, fingers crossed) I do not have a
>problem

Maybe they just like you more :-)