[ale] Fun with BellSouth, AOL and SMTP

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Sat Jun 28 22:36:59 EDT 2003

I'm looking for a sanity check here from anyone else with BellSouth DSL
service.

Tonight I started seeing this kind of thing in my mail logs:
host mx00.mail.bellsouth.net[205.152.59.32] said: 550 .net 022: Your
current IP address is not allowed to relay to hotmail.com Solution:
Connect using BellSouth Internet Service.

I sent a note to dsl_help at bellsouth.net and they confirmed that they're
no longer relaying email through mail.bellsouth.net.

Unfortunately, AOL (and probably others) refuses to allow incoming email
from dynamically assigned IPs:

telnet some.aol.mail.host 25
554- (RTR:DU)  The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is a dynamic
554- (residential) IP address.  AOL will not accept future e-mail
transactions
554- from this IP address until your ISP removes this IP address from
its list
554- of dynamic (residential) IP addresses.  For additional information,
554  please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com.

So what's a fella to do?

Has anyone else tripped over this yet?